Events & Learning Opportunities
2023 Sarah Beckett Memorial Run
Stoked to join in on the 2023 celebration of Sarah Beckett and a healthy, safe, vibrant community. The Sarah Beckett Memorial Run is an annual 5km family fun and walk honouring RCMP Constable Sarah Beckett, who was killed in April 2016 while working in Langford.
Learn more: sarahbeckettmemorialrun.com
Sooke/West Shore Community of Practice
Next Meeting: May 18th (lunch provided) 11:30-1:00 p.m.
Location: Colwood Pacific Activity Centre – 2610 Rosebank Road
You’re Invited! If you’re a health/social service provider working directly with children, youth and/or families across the Sooke/Westshore region, you’re invited to join a Community of Practice focused on supporting you in the important work you do.
Not yet signed up and want to join the COP? Sign up here – or read more here.
Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) Workshop
May 25, 2023 to May 26, 2023
9:00 am to 5:00 pm
CMHA BC – Victoria Office
101-612 View St
ASIST is a two-day interactive workshop in suicide first-aid. ASIST teaches participants to recognize
when someone may be at risk of suicide and work with them to create a plan that will support their
immediate safety. Although ASIST is widely used by healthcare providers, participants don’t need
any formal training to attend the workshop—ASIST can be learned and used by anyone aged 16+.
In the course of the two-day workshop, ASIST participants learn to:
- Understand the ways personal and societal attitudes affect views on suicide and interventions
- Provide guidance and suicide first-aid to a person at risk in ways that meet their individual safety needs
- Identify the key elements of an effective suicide safety plan and the actions required to implement it
- Appreciate the value of improving and integrating suicide prevention resources in the community at large
- Recognize other important aspects of suicide prevention including life-promotion and self-care
For more info about ASIST, you can visit this site or check out this infographic.